Saturday, July 6, 2013

Staying motivated

In listening recently to one of my favorite podcasts, Jillian Michaels, she talked about something that stuck a cord with me... She talks about what the number question that is asked of her... People want to know how to stay motivated.. Well, this brings up the question of what is it that motivates you...?? So many people give the answer(..and I'm guilty of giving this answer too..) "being healthy is what motivates me"... Ok, so you want to be healthy? What does wanting to be healthy really mean to you? Just saying you want to be healthy is a big generalization that so many of us tell ourselves is our motivation.. 

I think we need challenge ourselves to create more specific goals to keep us motivated.. This is something that I am working on trying to be one better at too.. Me telling myself that I want to be just be stronger isn't gonna cut it for keeping me motivated... :) I think a big part of keeping ourselves motivated is goal setting... One of my fellow bloggers, Claire at www.theascentblog.com, wrote on goal setting recently, and I agree with her 100% that it is so very important!! They don't have to be big goals... Start with something smaller, say drinking an extra glass of water every day... Don't set your goals so ridiculously high that it will be impossible to reach, because all that motivation we mentioned earlier, gone... Poof.. Setting a goal of dead lifting 175 lbs when you just started working out, probably not a reasonable goal:) Start small and once you reach your first goal, bump up your next goal slightly so that you are challenging yourself each time... 

A couple of my goals at the moment are, deadlift my body weight, drink as close to 45-50 oz of water every day as I can, and make sure I pack enough healthy snacks every day(I'm really bad about not eating between meals now that I'm back to working in an office setting).. 

Remember, stay motivated, set reasonable goals, challenge yourself, and most important, have fun getting healthy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment